D&D 5e: Tiefling Sorcerer Guide
D&D 5e: Tiefling Sorcerer Guide
Compared to other magic users, Sorcerers are naturally magical and do not need all that studying and deity crap wizards and warlocks do. Instead, they rely on the magic that they are born with because someone -cough- BARD -cough- was brave enough to bang, tie the knot with, or even piss off a magical creature/being. Producing a sorcerous power- in any race- is rare, so consider yourself an anime protagonist/ chosen one at this point.
How to Make a Tiefling Sorcerer
Often discriminated against and labeled as evil when, like other races in reality and the D&D-verse, may inherit certain qualities from their ancestry but possess their own choice in individuality.
There are three ways a Tiefling is created:
- Descended from a Tiefling parent (regardless if both or only one is a tiefling) or ancestor
- A human is transformed into one through magical means
- When a being of the nine realms of hell mates with a human
Tieflings are humanoid beings and creating one feels a lot like those mix and match custom character sim games as heritage has to be taken into account. To make it simpler, here’s a table of options open in creating a tiefling:
- Infernal tieflings– most common and possibly be related to Asmodeus or some other hellish being.
|Skin||Human shadesHot Red Dark blueScalyFurryLeathery|
|Eyes||Solid colored and catlike (compulsory feature) BlackRedWhiteSilverGold Glowing eyes|
|Mouth||vampire-like pointed teeth (compulsory feature)FangsForked tongue|
|Horns(compulsory feature)||Small or bigSpiral/Ringed CurledFlat and extending sideways (good luck getting through doors)Single horn|
|Tails(compulsory feature)||LONG AND T H I C C|
|Optional||Smelling like eau de brimstoneSkin hot to touch (as if looking the part wasn’t enough)More or less than 5 fingersYour tail can grab thingsGoat like legshoof for feetCast no shadow or reflectionBat like wings|
- Planar Tieflings– Rare variety of tieflings. Descendants of demons, devils, rakshasas, night hags, the avatars of evil deities, or those that oppress workers and demand to see the manager. Compared to Infernals, certain qualities are required:
|demons||May look like infernal tieflingsNo hooves or goatlike legs|
|devils||may resemble the infernal tieflings, not of Asmodeus|
|rakshasas||Cat eyes and furry skins|
|night hags||bruised-looking blue skinsmall hornsglowing red eyes|
|Applies to all Planar Tieflings||Can almost pass as a human but have certain dead giveaways such as, but not limited to:red eyessmall hornsa missing shadow|
- Rare traits
- As if there wasn’t enough variety to a Tiefling, a rare few have a few unique qualities, more detrimental than not. A few examples are:
- Being harmed by direct sunlight
- Susceptible to holy water
- Vulnerable to certain spells such as spirit wrack or cacofiend
- Can’t enter holy grounds or areas
- Silver = bad
- Skin that flakes ash- practically eczema or desquamation.
- Smelling like ash, brimstone, sulfur, or rotten meat- Not even deodorant can help you.
- Unnaturally cold or hot skin- Yes, to the point that you can cook or freeze food on your skin.
- Your touch can kill plants
- Uneasing aura- You’re the creepy guy even if you aren’t the creepy guy.
- Other hellish beings can recognize you just like your relatives in real life where they know you but you don’t have any idea who they are.
- Armor for skin, resistance to any injury made by non-magical or non-silver weapons.
- Hellish nightmares- Sleep paralysis must be awkward as a Tiefling)
-A few examples of this case are:
- The tiefling Tenosh has the power to generate cold from her hand, climb sheer surfaces with ease, and does not need to sleep.
- Ghienna cannot use portals and can never leave the city of Sigil, though this is a close secret.
- Factol Rhys of the Transcendent Order has a partial protective carapace, and her hair seems to move on its own as if blown by the wind
- Traits natural to all Tieflings are:
- Life expectancy and weight are similar to humans but few can live to a max of 150 years.
- They can live on an omnivorous diet (like humans) but slightly lean more to meat. Though they consume other stuff such as bone, gristle, marrow, blubber, blood, ash, and can subsist on coal or inorganic rock. They at times even drink a cocktail of broth, oil, and sulfur.
- Tieflings can be both male and female, one of the other, or none at all.
- The maximum height for a male tiefling is 6”7, for a female 6”5.
- Most are ambidextrous (can write with both hands and even tail).
Unlike most mage classes, as a Sorcerer, how your character’s background is built is very, very important as the magic is born into them. You don’t have to be that kid that your mom had to convince your dad is his either, as sorcerers -like Tieflings- can be born off curses, prophecies foretold, and a variety of other ways. Unfortunately, Sorcerers have the least amount of spells and have only two subcategories, but you have the power to screw with reality on the bright side.
Sorcerous Origins: this is basically like archetypes for Sorcerers.
- Draconic Blood– This doesn’t mean one of your parents banged a dragon that eventually produced you- though it is possible. Those with Draconic magic could come from a powerful ancient Sorcerer’s lineage that made a deal with a dragon or was born of a dragon.
- Dragon Ancestor– As certain features, advantages, and disadvantages depending on your heritage.
|Dragon||Damage Type||Dragon||Damage Type|
- Draconic Resilience– Unlike dark souls, there’s a benefit to nudity if you have Draconic blood. You get to have scales for armor, and no, it doesn’t mean you have to become a furry (Scaley) as even a few scales here, and there will suffice. Your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
- Elemental Affinity
- Dragon Wings
- Draconic Presence
- WILD MAGIC– Aforementioned, not all Sorcerers are born magical; some can become magical due to a blessing, a curse, or even a mark made by Voldemort. There’s even a chance it’s because you walked into the wrong realm or bathroom. It can be anything so long as unintentional and involves magic hence the name.
- Wild magic surge– Not only are your origins wild but also your spells. You roll a d100 and whatever it lands on is what you use. It’s like you’re a warlock but your patron is a crackhead.
|1-2||Roll on this table at the start of each of your turns for the next minute, ignoring this result on subsequent rolls.||33-34||Maximize the damage of the next damaging spell you cast within the next minute.||65-66||Up to three creatures you choose within 30 feet of you take 4d10 lightning damage|
|3-4||For the next minute, you can see any invisible creature if you have a line of sight to it.||35-36||Roll a d10. Your age changes by a number of years equal to the roll. If the roll is odd, you get younger (minimum 1 year old). If the roll is even, you get older.||67-68||You are frightened by the nearest creature until the end of your next turn.|
|5-6||A modron chosen and controlled by the DM appears in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of you, then disappears I minute later||37-38||1d6 flumphs controlled by the DM appear in unoccupied spaces within 60 feet of you and are frightened of you. They vanish after 1 minute.||69-70||Each creature within 30 feet of you becomes invisible for the next minute. The invisibility ends on a creature when it attacks or casts a spell|
|7-8||You cast Fireball as a 3rd-level spell centered on yourself.||39-40||You regain 2d10 hit points.||71-72||You gain resistance to all damage for the next minute.|
|9-10||You cast Magic Missile as a 5th-level spell.||41-42||You turn into a potted plant until the start of your next turn. While a plant, you are incapacitated and have vulnerability to all damage. If you drop to 0 hit points, your pot breaks, and your form reverts.||73-74||A random creature within 60 feet of you becomes poisoned for 1d4 hours.|
|11-12||Roll a d10. Your height changes by a number of inches equal to the roll. If the roll is odd, you shrink. If the roll is even, you grow.||43-44||For the next minute, you can teleport up to 20 feet as a bonus action on each of your turns.||75-76||You glow with bright light in a 30-foot radius for the next minute. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of you is blinded until the end of its next turn.|
|13-14||You cast Confusion centered on yourself.||45-46||You cast Levitate on yourself.||77-78||You cast Polymorph on yourself. If you fail the saving throw, you turn into a sheep for the spell’s duration.|
|15-16||For the next minute, you regain 5 hit points at the start of each of your turns.||47-48||A unicorn controlled by the DM appears in a space within 5 feet of you, then disappears 1 minute later.||79-80||Illusory butterflies and flower petals flutter in the air within 10 feet of you for the next minute.|
|17-18||You grow a long beard made of feathers that remains until you sneeze, at which point the feathers explode out from your face.||49-50||You can’t speak for the next minute. Whenever you try, pink bubbles float out of your mouth.||81-82||You can take one additional action immediately|
|19-20||You cast Grease centered on yourself||51-52||A spectral shield hovers near you for the next minute, granting you a +2 bonus to AC and immunity to Magic Missile.||83-84||You can take one additional action immediately|
|21-22||Creatures have disadvantage on saving throws against the next spell you cast in the next minute that involves a saving throw.||53-54||You are immune to being intoxicated by alcohol for the next 5d6 days.||85-86||You cast Mirror Image.|
|23-24||Your skin turns a vibrant shade of blue. A Remove Curse spell can end this effect.||55-56||Your hair falls out but grows back within 24 hours.||87-88||You cast Fly on a random creature within 60 feet of you.|
|25-26||An eye appears on your forehead for the next minute. During that time, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.||57-58||For the next minute, any flammable object you touch that isn’t being worn or carried by another creature bursts into flame.||89-90||You become invisible for the next minute. During that time, other creatures can’t hear you. The invisibility ends if you attack or cast a spell.|
|27-28||For the next minute, all your spells with a casting time of 1 action have a casting time of 1 bonus action.||59-60||You regain your lowest-level expended spell slot.||91-92||If you die within the next minute, you immediately come back to life as if by the Reincarnate spell.|
|29-30||You teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see.||61-62||For the next minute, you must shout when you speak.||93-94||Your size increases by one size category for the next minute.|
|31-32||You are transported to the Astral Plane until the end of your next turn, after which time you return to the space you previously occupied or the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.||63-64||You cast Fog Cloud centered on yourself.||95-96||You and all creatures within 30 feet of you gain vulnerability to piercing damage for the next minute|
|97-98||You are surrounded by faint, ethereal music for the next minute.|
|99-100||You regain all expended sorcery points.|
- Tides of chaos
- Bend luck
- Controlled chaos
- Spell bombardment
Like Warlocks, your attacks do rely on Charisma. Being a Tiefling, you have the advantage of 2+ on your Charisma and 1+ for intelligence. In stat building, make Charisma your highest followed by Constitution. Higher Constitution means more Hit Points (HP), and higher Fortitude Save, which results in some bonus to spell defense-just like the actual Constitution. Finally, intelligence, strength, dexterity, then wisdom.
How to Play a Tiefling Sorcerer
Hit Dice: 1d6 per sorcerer level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per sorcerer level after 1st
Unlike Wiz-nerds and Warlocks, Sorcerers don’t have the advantage of many spells and spellcasting is costly. In hindsight, due to Metamagic, you’ll be able to screw with the whole campaign and reality as you please. Think of your class as a double axe, it has only 2 blades but it’s high on impact. As you reach certain levels your attacks improve too until you reach level 20 where you get 4 expended sorcery points whenever you finish a short rest.
- Metamagic- You unlock this at 3rd level, where you’re able to twist your spells to suit your needs. Apart from spells like a magic missile, chromatic orb, and whatever else is included, you can be creative on what you use. So if you’ve ever thought of having a fire-breathing armpit this is your chance.
- Careful Spell
- Distant Spell
- Empowered Spell
- Extended Spell
- Heightened Spell
- Quickened Spell
- Subtle Spell
- Twinned Spell
As a Tiefling, a big plus is you are a natural in the thaumaturgy cantrip. By 3rd level, you get to do hellish rebuke as a 2nd level spell, and by 5th level, darkness spell. All these spells require charisma, so it fits perfectly with being a sorcerer. Apart from that, you get dark vision, but everything is gray in the darkness, advantage in speed, and resistance to fire damage.
Think of Tieflings as the counterpart of half-elves that got the shorter end of the stick. Tieflings face a lot of racism and discrimination regardless of whether they are evil or not. This has caused them to be very reserved, suspicious, and self-reliant loners. They have a quick temper, stubbornness, self-confidence, and fickleness in relationships. Fortunately, though, they will learn to reciprocate the trust given to them in a way. When they allow themselves to open up or give loyalty towards someone, that person/receiving a friend and ally for life. This can be a challenge -and maybe even comedic- as a sorcerer.
How to Roleplay as a Tiefling Sorcerer
The topic of how Tieflings came to be is covered but what of their lives? Like most hybrids, they have no land of their own or a place where their kind gathers. Tieflings are uncommon and with the whole hot topic of Asmodeus, they are rarely friendly with their kind or relatives. As mentioned before, racism and discrimination have been part of a Tiefling’s life since the day they are born or created. Even a Tiefling baby born to two human parents (where one so happened to have a Tiefling or Fiend blood in the lineage or the baby was cursed) would likely be abandoned and be taken in by orphanages, churches, or crime rings.
With the rejection, their race faces, many turn to a life of crime or mischief which has further people’s prejudiced perspectives on them. Well, it’s not like it’d be easy to change others’ views or someone is advocating for them. Considering that your character is a Sorcerer, a creature born with, cursed, blessed, or inherited magic, that could change those mentioned earlier, or it can further be a push in your plot of being an outcast in society. After all, uncommon power is dangerous or even exploitable.
Regardless if you choose to be Draconic or Wild Magic type of Sorcerer, you or your Sorcerer character’s background is closely tied to their abilities. Were you born with your powers? Were you cursed, blessed, or in an unwarranted predicament? Was it something you ate? Was it foretold? Prophesied? Something in your fiendish blood? Was one of your parents a bard? Be as creative as you like, make your DM and squad question you and your sanity, have crazy spells and devious shenanigans in mind, make sure how you became a Sorcerer makes sense.
Although Tieflings are reserved, they still value art and music especially ones with dark themes. Their voices are known to be powerful, often their cries are heard in battle. Artists, bodyguards, strike teams, and adventurers are common jobs for Tieflings. They can speak infernal despite not studying it or Abyssal along with Common language.